Wednesday, February 8, 2012

AA Polish Review: Colors My Mother Would Love to Hate

A few weeks ago I purchased a couple of American Apparel polishes for the first time.  I've always been a bit hesitant, especially after "quality issues with the glassware" incident about a year ago. So here's to hoping that my obituary won't say "death by AA polishes".

I decided to get some funky colors that I didn't have in my collection yet. After doing some swatches I figured out what they all had in common. They are colors my mother would absolutely hate. I remember the first time she saw Metro Chic by OPI for Sephora. She just would not let it go. 

Also, I am rating the polishes on scale of 5 Mumsies based on how much my mother would hate them.



Mac Arthur Park is a beautiful olive mustard color. I was a bit worried at first because from the bottle it looked like it had bit of a yellow undertone, but after applying 2 coats it looked a bit more green.  
2.5 Mumsies because it would remind my Mother of the moss that grew on top of the roof of our old house.


Neon Yellow I absolutely LOVED. With the exception of having to use 3 coats to get good coverage, and it dried matte, which seems to be quite common amongst neon polishes, so seche vite top coat is a must! It also stained a bit which made me look like a heavy smoker *see below*. I can't wait to start wearing this for spring/summer.
I'm giving this 3 Mumsies because I know she would complain that the color is burning a hole through her retinas.


Make Up is a dirty dusty rose color with a bit of brown in it. Coverage again was impressive, and the formula was creamy and consistent. 
 
This deserves 4 Mumsies because it seems to run in the same circle as Metro Chic. She would also laugh at the name and call it 'thecoloryouwouldfindwhenyouwashyourfaceattheendoftheday'.



Meteor Shower was the one I was looking forward to the most but also disappointed me the most. It looks like there is a lot of glitter in the bottle but when it comes to application, they are no where to be found. The technique I use is to drip a big blob onto the nail and then maneuver the glitter around with the brush. The glitter pieces don't lie flat so they stick up a bit after drying and a top coat. This bugged me so much because i had scratchy nails for a couple of days. The glitter also reminds me a bit of craft glitter, the type you would use in kindergarten.  
 
I think my mother would approve of this polish, therefore I'm only giving it half a Mumsie. 

*Forgive me, I'm a bit behind on replying to comments. I swear I'll get back to them soon!*

42 comments:

  1. Love the neon yellow.. its so cool! And meteor shower too!

    You are one step away from winning $100! Click the link below to enter my giveaway! :)
    Enter boticca.com giveaway, win $100
    ♥ www.thegirlatfirstavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors I would buy them myself also! X

    Love,
    Zizi: www.zizistyling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh I'm obsessed with each color, especially the neon and sparkles!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Lia! I'm Lia from lia's cup of coffee. You've made lovely blog, see you often! and nice polishes ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg ! I really love all the efects !
    xoxo from spain love
    www.mrolez.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohh I LOVE that bright neon yellow - so cute :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  8. These nail polishes look amazing, especially the glitter one!xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. really adore these colors- just owned also 3 colors ;) aaand a glitter one :D
    xx the cookies
    share the feeling
    visit <3
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about your mom not approving those colors. My mom is the same way! I especailly liked the neon yellow! It'll be a great transition into spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty especially the black with glitter one.

    Follow me back? (:
    onceuponasprinkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty colors, I love the last one with the glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. cool glitter

    delicatelyfierce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great colors! Love your rating system. :)


    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com
    http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving that neon yellow!!

    ooxox

    voguewonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt like having a dozen of sour drops when looking at the neon yellow, but I quite like the dusty rose...I am adapting...slowly. BTW thanks for showing my freckles >:P

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol ya i think my mom would hate those colors too, and ive tried glitter nail polish before and i had the same results where not that much glitter is shown so I stopped using them all togehter haha, i should pick it up again though those glitter nail polish you got is nice even though they're a bit of work to apply!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE IT!! SO BEAUTIFUL!!

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha I love the 'mumsies'! Great review, too bad that the golden glitter one was such a pain, cause I really love the look!

    http://styleservings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the NEON YELLOW. I bought a similar one at Forever 21, but it was horrible.

    xo Jo

    http://whiterosesandcoffee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. awesome nail polishes! love the flasy yellow one! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. love it ! especially the neon one !

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your blog! it is amazing!!!
    your outfits are always so lovely!
    I like the look of the big glitter nail polish but scratchy nails won't do it for me too!!

    consider me your newest follower!
    hope you can follow me back
    xoxo

    click me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love the first three shades, thank you for the review and the critique on meteor shower!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG! I LOVE THESE COLORS, ESPECIALLY THE NEON GREEN! WOULD YOU LIKE TO FOLLOW EACH OTHER?
    XOXO,
    FASHIONHYPNOTISED GIRL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahh, the gold glitter polish looks awesome...it's a shame it wasn't worth the hassle.

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  27. ohh i love the nail polish on the last photo,im having a hnm versace skirt giveaway come join http://mwanwan.blogspot.com/2012/02/h-versace-giveway-part-2.html
    http://www.facebook.com/mwanwanmw
    twitter@michellemwan

    ReplyDelete
  28. woow that meteor shower is amazing, never seen it before! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My favorite is the yellow one! The title is so funny and true haha!
    xx s
    www.my-philosophie.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the neon!

    Kiss kiss.*Jo
    http://joandcompanystyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. the neon one and black with gold are by far my favorite ;)
    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really like the nude color.
    You have nice nails! :)


    Xo,
    http://www.sacosha.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love them all, but my favorite is the black and gold!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hilarious! I love the neon and dusty rose the best. SO funny how you rated it by how much your mom would hate it. =P

    ReplyDelete